The ceramic instructor must be an outstanding artist and enthusiastic educator with a strong desire to enhance the program and to foster excellence in our students. This individual must possess the knowledge, experience and confidence of ceramics to successfully manage the Turner Center Pottery Studio and professionally teach a variety of students from the community. This position is supervised by the Art Education Administrator and involves working weekdays, weeknights, weekends, special workshops and camps.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule kiln firings, organize glazes and tools, keep studio clean and sanitized.
- Coordinate with students to keep record of attendance and implement Turner Center class policy at all times.
- Coordinate class schedule with Art Education Administrator.
- Load and unload kilns and keep record of all firings.
- Maintain adequate supply of ceramic materials and coordinate with Art Ed Admin when inventory is needed.
- Oversee the proper maintenance of equipment.
- Instruct students in all aspects of ceramics including clay, wheel-throwing, hand-building, glazes, techniques, safety, firing and cleanliness.
- Maintain an orderly, creative, relaxed and safe environment for students.
- Oversee other part-time instructors that may teach or assist classes in the pottery studio.
- Participate in various Turner Center events such as ARToberfest and spring into Art and provide public demonstrations when needed.
- Must have a college degree or equivalent (A degree in Art/Ceramics is preferred but not required).
- Must have at least one year of prior teaching experience.
- Must have experience in ceramics, both hand-building and wheel-throwing.
- Must be able to provide a resume, cover letter and undergo a background check.
- Must provide examples of artwork/student work.
- Must have a friendly and positive attitude and be punctual and reliable.
- Must have general knowledge of all ceramic equipment and tools including how to run and maintain kilns and wheels.
- Must be able to follow and implement Turner Center Policies and protocol.
- Must be able to problem –solve and handle unexpected situations that may arise in the studio.
- Must be able to lift 40+ lbs.
- Instructor receives a 70/30 commission from student enrollment fees.
- Instructor receives a studio management stipend monthly.
- Flexible hours.
- Free RAC membership
- Opportunities to sell artwork in the gift shop.